If there’s one snack that I must keep in this house, it’s granola bars. Both my girls and husband request them often and if there aren’t any in the house, they start to turn on me. Ok, that’s a bit of a stretch but seriously, they get a little perturbed when we are out.
Lately, I’ve been buying them just out of pure laziness. However, if we do run out before grocery day, I have this recipe on hand and can whip up a batch in about 10 minutes.
And if I’m being totally honest, I prefer these homemade granola bars over the store bought kind. An even added bonus is that it’s cheaper to make them yourself!
I like to divide them up into snack size baggies for a grab & go snack.
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 C. Honey
- 1/3 C. Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 C. Quick Cooking Oats
- 1 C. Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- Chocolate Chips
- In a large bowl, stir oats and rice cereal together. Set Aside
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter, honey and brown sugar over medium high heat until it comes to a bubble. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Pour in vanilla and stir.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix well to coat all ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased small loaf or jelly roll type pan. Press down the mixture and pack tightly. If your pan isn’t small enough, push the ingredients to one side until it’s packed firm (this is so they will stick together). Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and press down lightly into the mixture. Cool on the counter top for 2 hours.