“These oven fried chicken nuggets are better than Chick-fil-a! – Tillie, age 6
Is there anything better than a home cooked southern meal? I love fried chicken. Even more, I love chicken nuggets…with mashed potatoes and gravy and a side of either corn or green beans. There really is nothing better.
I’ve had several versions of homemade chicken nuggets but these oven fried chicken nuggets are by far my favorite. They’re tender and crispy and freeze well.
Oven Fried Chicken Nuggets
You start off with chicken breasts cut in bite sized pieces. For my family of four, 2 chicken breasts makes plenty. But I like to make extra to freeze for lunches so I usually use 4 chicken breasts. Last I counted, 4 chicken breasts makes about 60 nuggets.
Then you dip them in flour. I’m lazy and like to get things done quickly so I dump my flour in a gallon ziploc bag (or I guess you could use a plastic storage container with a lid) and then add my chicken and shake….kinda like the shake and bake method.
Once the chicken has been lightly coated with flour (too much and the crust won’t stick), they get bathed in an egg wash. This is where it gets a little messy. Again, I want to get done quickly so I beat my eggs in a bowl and dump the chicken in and stir it all up.
After the egg wash, then it’s off to get a good coating of the bread crumb mixture. This mixture gives the nuggets just the right about of crispiness. Yum!
Now this is where the fried part comes in. Are you ready for the secret? It’s butter. You melt butter and pour it on a baking sheet and then set the little nuggets on top. Pop that baby in the oven and let them “fry”. Oh my goodness I can’t wait to eat them! Of course if you don’t do mashed potatoes & gravy, you can always pair them with a dipping sauce.
I’ve made these so many times that I don’t use exact measurements….it’s just a little bit of this and a little bit of that but I’m going to do my best to steer you in the right direction. This recipe is really hard to mess up though.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 stick butter, salted or unsalted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 1/4 cup panko
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bag or bowl, mix bread crumbs, panko, paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl and pour into a rimmed cookie/baking sheet. Set aside.
- Lightly coat bit sized chicken pieces in flour. Then coat chicken pieces in the beaten eggs. Finally, coat chicken in bread crumb mixture making sure they completely coated.
- Place chicken nuggets on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Then turn over chicken nuggets and bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- *For an extra, extra crispy nugget, only use panko.
- *Lightly coat chicken in flour. Too much and the bread crumb crust will not stick to chicken.